We are inspired and impressed with the excellent science and engineering projects presented at the 2019 New Mexico Science and Engineering Fair, held April 6th at New Mexico Tech in Socorro by enthusiastic young ladies! NMNWSE members look forward each year to talking with aspiring scientists and engineers while judging the projects for special awards. NMNWSE awarded 10 outstanding students with $50 gift cards plus a certificate and tote bag with career materials. NMNWSE Special Judges also handed out honorable mention awards to 8 students.
Senior Division Award Winners
- Karin Ebey, Modeling the Effects of Invasive Species on Crocodilian Populations, Animal Sciences
- Nicole Puderbaug, Got Music?, Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Samantha Jones, Shine Bright Like Bleach, Chemistry
- McKenna Collins, Increasing Voltage and Ampere in the Aluminum-Ion Battery Through Cell Design, Energy and Transportation
- Rose Osborne, 6 Shield: Carbon-based Natural Textile Enhancement for Fire Resistance, Strength and Breathability, Engineering
- Miauaxoch Haskie, Clay Dyed Wool for Natural Sun Blocking Fabric, Physics and Astronomy
Senior Division Honorable Mention
- Sydney Anderson, Comparing Antibiotic Properties in Native American Traditional Methods and Modern Antibiotics, Biology
- Emma Foresi and Zoe Hughes, Investigating the Disruption of Time of Flight Sensors, Physics and Astronomy
Junior Division Award Winners
- Katie Petersen, How Easy is it to Read Simplified Spelling?, Behavioral and Social Science
- Julie Lopez, Death of an Orange, Energy and Transportation
- Sonja Ebey, Nonidentical Triplets, Mathematical Sciences
- Katie Crooker, The Hot Chocolate Effect: How Bubbles Affect the Acoustics of Water, Physics and Astronomy
Junior Division Honorable Mention
- Angelina Vozza, Does Music Help or Hurt Your Academic Achievement?, Behavioral and Social Science
- Francesca Benavidez, Catching Fire: Most Effective Fire Retardant, Chemistry
- Veronica Parra, What is the Radius of the Earth’s Core?, Earth Science
- Elena Valdez, Which Wood has the Highest Bending Strength?, Engineering
- Shelbie Martinez, Would You Rather? Well vs. Tap, Environmental Sciences
Congratulations to the NMNWSE Award winners!!
We wish to also congratulate all the students who participated in the State Science Fair, and their teachers and mentors! We hope these students continue to develop their potential as future leaders in STEMM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Medicine) and allied professions!